Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sea Urchin

When we were at the beach week before last, I caught a sea urchin.

Actually, it was just kind of laying in the shallow water... it looked prickly & I didn't want any of the kids to step on it, so I scooped it up. I wasn't exactly sure what it was until some onlookers informed me that it was a sea urchin. I wasn't sure if it was alive or not until we left it alone & it's prickly spines started moving around. We left it in a bucket & the kids wanted to keep it. I thought it might be kind of neat. Someone said they made really pretty shells after they dried up but they stunk really bad until they died. Boy, they were right. We brought it home & it started stinking within a day or two. So I soaked it in clorox water & by the next day all of it's spines fell off. By the next day it looked like this.

Top side

Underside


Kinda cool isn't it! I've never had more than just the ordinary sea shells. What puzzles me is that when all of the spines fell off & it dried up, where did all the guts & stuff inside of it go? There was a mouth looking thing in the top of the shell in the small opening. Nothing was in the bottom of the bucked except the spines and a couple odd looking spines... no slimy nothing. Hmmmmm....

Oh by the way... today is my birthday... I'm 33... ugh!

2 comments:

Mamascraps said...

Happy Birthday - a little late, lol :)

Joy Bruza said...

Happy birthday! I haven't checked blogs in a few...sorry it's a little late:( Have a great weekend!

Blog Archive