Thursday, August 7, 2008

Observations of a 6 year old

Sometimes I don't think we give kids enough credit. They think very simplistic... it's black or white for them & just as they see... or hear... it. We brush them off because they are little & don't know. But reality is, they think pretty clearly. Yeah, I know they don't always understand the full meaning or context, but it does make sense some of the questions they raise. For example, when teaching my boys to read, we've encountered several frustrating moments of pronouncing a word that doesn't sound they way it's supposed to sound. "Why not just write it the way it sounds" was & still is a frequent comment that comes from both of my boys mouths.

Another example....Today, Carter was sitting with me on the couch & a commercial came on for an iPod. He said "if it's an iPod and you put it in your ear.... why is it not called an ear pod? you don't stick it in your eyes to listen to it." Very good point there. Then later this evening we were driving to the YMCA & he said "mom, why do they make cars to go to 100 or faster? you're not supposed to drive that fast. do they just want you to get a ticket or something?" Yet again, another good point.

1 comment:

Pollock Family said...

I've always wondered that about cars myself!?!

Blog Archive