Monday, June 2, 2008

Seasonal Nuisances

I am very thankful for God's beautiful creation, but I do have some complaints as each season rolls around. I went outside to hang out my laundry today and I was reminded of some of the things that bug me each season.

Summer brings lots of sunshine and great weather for getting wet but it also brings spider webs and flies! I can't stand flies. Every time I open my door at least 3 zoom in. Then I have to hear them buzzing, flying up against windows and trying to get out or getting stuck in my blinds...stupid things. I rarely ever actually hit one with the fly swatter though and that's not from lack of attempting. The whole spider web thing just drives me crazy. I walked out the door to hang clothes on my drying rack to find 2 pretty big webs in the corners... so then I have to find something to clean them off with while I'm holding a pile of wet clothes. Then as I walk around the corner to my clothesline I walk through a spider web and there is another wad of them in every corner they can find on the clothesline. They are all over my house and half of the time, I can't reach them and a water hose does nothing but make them a wet and dark wad that still hangs on.

Here's the rest of my "seasonal pains" and positives too.
Fall - the leaves are beautiful turning all the different colors. But then, they fall off the trees, leaving them ugly and bare for the rest of the winter. Then daylight savings time ends and you basically have hardly any day to enjoy. I also have ants that lure in my house. It's the little tiny ones that always linger around water, so they are usually in my bathroom and kitchen. However, I do love fall because the air starts getting cooler and I am always so ready for a break from the summer heat. All the great holiday's are approaching and it's something to look forward to.

Winter - it's cold... brrr. You got to bundle up (except for the past few winters... can we say global warming) everywhere you go to burn up once you get inside. My other fear... deer. I'm always paranoid driving in the country especially during the winter. I've hit a deer before... major damage to my van. Not a fan of them there creatures. I do love the snow in the winter. I wish for at least one good snow each year, though I rarely get my wish. Christmas is one of my favorite holidays and in the winter I love to bundle up on the couch and watch a movie.

Spring - pollen, pollen, and more pollen. Everything, everywhere is covered in a layer of yellow. Allergies, dirty clothes, itchy... need I say anymore. Also, bird poop. I don't know if they just don't congregate as much in the winter on my swingsets, but every spring, I can rarely go to the swingset, a chair, my wooden swing or any other place I might sit my hiney on... there's always bird poop. I especially hate the purple kind after they've had some berries to digest. But, I do love all the beautiful flowers that begin to bloom and trees finally begin to reshape. The air is starting to warm and spring fever always puts everyone in a better mood. Plus the days get longer too.

So that's my list. What's yours? I would love to read some comments.

3 comments:

EngineersFalcon said...

Spring - Caterpillars - I love butterflies and respect that God made caterpillars, but EW! They are all over our trees and swingset and gross. Then, at least once a spring, while sitting outside minding my own business, some bird drops a helf eaten, guts oozing one down close to me. Yuck Yuck Yuck. However, I am enjoying fall and spring in NC, because in Texas we literally don't have them. There are only 2 seasons, hot and cold.

Joy Bruza said...

I hear you sister! I hate flies. Nate was playing on our deck yesterday and I left the door propped open so he wouldn't freak out. In a matter of minutes my kitchen was full of flies...at least 20. I became a crazy banshee and killed quite a few! Yucky!

Unknown said...

I agree with Spring, I never had allergies until I moved down here. I also hate bugs. But I love, love the flowers and trees getting green. I like summer, in Canada, where it's hot but dry. I love the colors and temp of fall but I hate seeing the trees with no leaves. I like the winters down here because living for 24 years in Canada with horrible winters, the winters down here are beautiful. And we all know what I think of snow. I like it on the mountains where I can ski on it. I do however like seeing Ethan in the snow so I guess one big snow a year isn't so bad. Christmas is also my very favorite time of year.

Blog Archive