Friday, October 9, 2009

Listen

Once in a while, I really get a strong message out of my quiet time with God. I'm not half as regular about it as I wish I could be and probably don't spend as much time in it as I should (or would like to). Seems like there is always something to be done or some place to be. Just plain ole busy. But, today was different. While Kensley was eating her breakfast, I read my daily email devotion that I get from Proverbs 31. That was my quick morning boost & I had planned to sit down & really have my good time when she laid down for a nap, because today is less busy than most other days. Funny thing is that today's devotion was about being still and listening to God. Hmmm.... okay, well sounds all good & such, but I was a little puzzled about what I would do. I'm the type of person that when I lay down in bed at night or sit quietly for a minute, my mind races with thoughts of all that needs to be done. Seems like my list is never gets completely checked off, but rather is always being "added to".

I read another passage from a daily devotion book that correlated to what we are studying in our small group each week....give thanks to the Lord for everything. After I read the scripture & devotion, I wrote out my prayer. In the corner of my eye I kept seeing a bright yellow butterfly fly around outside the window. It kept drawing my attention because of it's vibrant color. When I finished, I felt the need to go outside & just sit in quietness and listen to God... or at least the hope of listening to God. Here comes the butterfly again & is flying around all in front of me. I heard God say: "if I care about a butterfly & all the tiny little details I put into it to make it beautiful, don't you think I care even more about you?" So I just closed my eyes and listened.

There were lots of things to potentially distract me, but none of them did. I heard God speak to me. Clear as ever while the wind blew on my face. He kept assuring me to "rest in Him and I will find peace". I sat there for about 10 minutes & just listened. Then I read Psalm 91:1-2

1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

2 I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust."


Isn't it great to trust in a God who loves us so much...and all He wants in return is our love back to Him and some time alone with Him.

Lord, help me to sit and listen to you more everyday. Let the busyness of my life not come between my relationship with you. Let me feel your Spirit in the air each time it blows on my face. Thank you for loving me even more than a butterfly. Amen.

1 comment:

JenB said...

Ok, second friend today to write about being still!! Other one referenced Psalm 46:10 and that's the wall art in my foyer! I get it!! Thanks for sharing.

Blog Archive