Friday, July 20, 2007

Healthy foods, high prices...

...this has been on my mind a lot this week. I've been shopping one too many times... groceries for the house, Sam's trip for the beach, Wal-Mart trip for the beach, another Wal-Mart trip in a different city for the stuff I forgot the first trip... anyway. Why is it that everyone is trying to get people to eat more healthy, but all the healthy food is so much more expensive? Looks like to me if they wanted us to eat less junk, all the junky/fattening foods would be the expensive ones and the healthy stuff would be more affordable. I know, reality is that probably costs more to produce the healthy stuff, but it's the underlying statement that I'm referring to. I would love to go to the store & load up on a weeks worth of fruit for a couple dollars. However, I can buy a bag of chips, fruit snacks, kool-aid and probably something else, for the price of maybe 3 days worth of grapes or apples. For example... my new chip that I love is baked pita chips. A very small bag at Wal-Mart is 1.98 (cheapest I've found). This might last a day or 2 if we all eat them, but if I spend about the same price I can get a big bag of Great Value regular potato chips that would probably last at least a week or longer. This just doesn't make sense to me...it seems backwards. When you live paycheck to paycheck and you have 5 mouths to feed, you just can't afford to eat healthy every day. I really hate that. Maybe I need to find a way to reverse this cycle... hmmmm....

No comments:

Blog Archive