Saturday, August 14, 2010

Family Legacy

We just returned home from Statesville. Corby's grandmother died last week and her funeral was on Thursday. While it was a great time to spend with family... in the midst of the situation... I've thought a lot about the legacy that his grandmother left. My children actually knew her & got to spend time with her over the years. I am so thankful for that because all of my grandparents have passed on. My boys were 4 & 2 when my last grandparent died. Chandler remembers a little but Carter only remembers what he sees in pictures. I had a great relationship with my great-grandparents (and grandparents too) and many fond memories of times spent with them. I want that for my children and they had a chance to experience it with Grandmaw Haneline.

She was one of 14 children...had 7 children of her own... and was a Godly woman. She loved the Lord and she loved life. She loved to sing and play her guitar and I remember many Christmases sitting around listening to her & her children making music. Talking with my father-in-law the night before the funeral was great. His love for his mother showed so much and to be with her the last few days of her life was priceless to him. Her funeral was a celebration of the life she lived. It was evident, from all of the people packed into the church that day, how many lives she touched. Many tears were shed but I know she was looking down from heaven and smiling. One of the things the pastor asked us to do was to close our eyes and imagine a time with her. I could see the smile on her face. Always a smile. She left this earth knowing that she was ready to meet her Maker.

She left a wonderful legacy in the family that is still here on earth...mine included. When our days on earth are done we will leave a legacy behind as well. I want it to be something worth remembering.

"Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD; the fruit of the womb is His reward." Psalm 127:3

No comments:

Blog Archive