Friday, July 10, 2009

My burden bearer

I don't know about you, but summer for me can be.... trying... to say the least. When you've got kids in school, who have been constantly entertained for most of the day, and then you go into summer mode... with really no schedule... we have issues. At least in my house. I call them "too much time on your hands" and "boredom". It takes some adjustment in our house to get used to being around each other ALL day long again. This year, seems to have taken a little longer than in the past. However, all this to say, I've lost it a few times & just said "enough!" I get to the point where I just can't take the constant arguing & fussing anymore and I kind of blow... like steam coming out of a train. Today, was one of those days. Kensley had to argue or whine about EVERYTHING that took place this morning, the boys always feel the need to make it even worse & aggravate her too, their constant arguing between each other, one of them knocked our clock off the kitchen wall & it broke, Kensley locked herself in her room & decided her babydolls needed lotion, therefore lotion was all over the place & her hands were covered and she couldn't open then door...then when i tried to pick the lock it wouldn't budge... therefore making me freak out even more because I couldn't get in...(I'm getting a little sidetracked but you get my point here....)

I don't know why I let myself get to this point. It should be so simple to just say "okay, Lord, I can't deal anymore, you need to take over." But I don't. I, for some strange reason, feel the need that I can handle it all on my own... but I never can. As I reached my boiling point today I took a "time out" in the bathroom and just said a prayer..."Lord you have to take over, I just can't deal anymore." As I regrouped myself & tried to hold back the tears, I came to sit down & read a devotion for today.

Well, as the Lord always so graciously does, it totally applied to me & my situation today.
"Bring them here to me." Matthew 14:18
.... the devotion talks about a mom who is reminded by her son that needed help with his homework....if you can't do it, just bring it to me & I'll help you with it. Isn't that what God is always telling us? When I am overwhelmed: "If you can't do it, just bring it to Me."

Ahhh... that was what I needed to hear at that exact moment in time. A simple reminder by such a short verse. The Lord is my burden bearer and all I need to do is release it to Him.

2 comments:

Wendi said...

Oh Kendra I have had your days this summer also. Isn't God great how he just leads us in the right direction, when everything else is going in the wrong direction. You did good by taking a time-out, I usually beat the snot out of them. hahahaha

Pollock Family said...

I so needed to be reminded of this. I love my boys with all of my heart but sometimes you just need a break! They are at David's parents for the night so I'll be having a much needed rejuvenation day all by myself tomorrow and then I can't wait to see them again!

Blog Archive