Thursday, May 14, 2009

Field Trip!

Part of the class
Fun fountains... too bad it was so cold.
A banana plant
Carter & his buddies
Inside the greenhouse
Those archways are so pretty

This caterpillar is eating parsley. Apparently they love parsley & turn into beautiful butterfly's because of it.

Carter had a field trip to Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens on Monday. To be honest, not my favorite choice of field trips, but at least it doesn't involve animals and it's pretty to look around. It rained a good portion of the morning so it was kind of wet & icky. I think we haven't hit it at peak blooming season yet but it smells really nice around the gardens. However, I was super impressed with the greenhouse walk through.

I did learn a few things today. Did you know there is really no such thing as a vegetable? It's just a made up words. Veggies are really parts of a plant...stems, flowers, leafs, roots. Intersting huh? And also, if it has a seed it's a fruit... like peppers are fruits? I knew tomatoes were a fruit, but never thought about a jalapeno pepper that burns like fire being a fruit. I also found out that this flower can kill you if you eat it. Can't remember what she called is, but a heart medication is derived from this plant. If you are a healthy person & eat some of this plant, it can make your heart race so fast that you can die.

1 comment:

The Gardner Gang said...

Wow that place looks cool. Maybe I'll take the kids there this summer. Did she happen to tell you what kind of fruit a Pineapple is? I have curious kids and no answers. :)
H

Blog Archive