Saturday, February 28, 2009

More from Cali!







Finally, we have internet access. I've been dying to post more pictures & updates. It's really been a lot of fun out here. The weather has been cool but pretty... i think rain is coming in for the weekend though. AND to top it off I can't believe it, but Shelby is calling for snow! I knew that would happen. Now I'm just a little concerned for our flight back in on Monday.

Time is flying by and I can't believe we only have a day & 1/2 left. The food has been incredible! I've never seen so many fancy things at one sitting...calamari, ma hi-ma hi, wasabi vinaigrette dressings for EVERYTHING, sushi, imported cheeses, etc. I haven't tried everything but I'm venturing more that I traditionally would. However, I have stuck with my plain ole Coke as opposed to the plethora of alcohol that is offered at supper meals. I ventured out & around town on Thursday while Corby was in class. I was really surprised with this being such a large city that there is no more traffic or people around town. It's really not a busy place, nothing at all like downtown Charlotte. The hotel is in the middle of downtown & there is the Plaza de Cesar Chavez across the street which is a pretty park/sitting area. Also there is a road(-ish) that runs beside the hotel for several blocks back called the Paseo de San Antnio. It's a really cool strip with lots of little shops & cafe type restaurants & a repertory theatre. Across the street from the hotel is the Tech Museum which is a really cool hands on museum that I think tells about how this area became Silicon Valley. We are going to visit it tomorrow. I think this afternoon I am going to the arts museum which is next door. Here's a few pictures of things that I've captured around town.

Lastly, we ventured out Thursday night to the mall. Rather than paying $40 bucks to take a taxi there & back someone told us to take the bus (it was about $8 round trip). That was an experience. We had really no idea where we were going & tried asking several people on the bus where we needed to get off, but didn't have much luck. There are so many Hispanics & Asians around here & not many of them speak English, so they just kind of looked at us. Thankfully, an older man on the bus figured out where we were trying to go & told us where to get off. I think we'll just stick to places within walking distance for our next outings.

No comments:

Blog Archive