Sunday, August 27, 2017

The Year of Lasts

It's the night before school starts and I'm wondering how this went by so fast. Normally, it's just the beginning of another school year for our family, but tonight is different. Aside from the fact this summer lasted 4.5 seconds (a quote from a dear friend), this is not just any "night before schools starts" for us. This is the last "night before school starts" for my oldest. 
He is a senior this year... and this year begins the year of lasts

He's already had his last, first soccer game of the season. I shed a few tears in the cereal aisle of Walmart when my friend sent me this picture of all the seniors boys huddled together.


Me and the kids were traveling home from seeing family last weekend and I cried from Lawndale to Shelby because of a few songs that came on the radio. (To see what all the fuss was over, click here and here).

Going through scrapbooks last night, looking for the "first day of Kindergarten" picture, had me tearing up again at the blonde haired, blue eyed little boy who wanted to be a fireman when he grew up.
Well, here we are 14 years later... and he is a fireman. He's following his passion and this is the career he has chosen to pursue.

I can't begin to tell you how fast these years have passed. Trust me when I say this...


IT. FLIES. BY. WARP. SPEED.

When Chandler got his braces off this summer, I looked at him and thought... "He's no longer a kid, he's a man." This hurt my heart a little but also made me joyful to see what a handsome, young man he's grown into.

We also have another last... my baby's last year of elementary school. Whew... it's going to be an emotional year...I can already tell.

When we wake up in the morning, we will all be too busy getting ready and eating breakfast for me to stop and think about this "last" milestone... at least until I get to work. Hopefully, I won't get too many complaints from the kids, because this mama is going to get in her First Day of School pictures, too. So, my prayer for all of my kids is they will have a great school year. I pray for safety, for smarticles (that's my made-up word for them to learn something new), and for them to be the difference in someones life they come in contact with this school year.

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. - Jeremiah 29:11

Chandler's First day of Kindergarten, August 25, 2005




No comments:

Blog Archive